Come glance (or take a deep dive) at some Bible verses that specialize in comfort and encouragement!
Bethany’s Midweek Devotion
June 17, 2020
WORDS OF COMFORT (Part 2)
Some of you shared how much you apricated the words of comfort from last week’s midweek devotion. Here are the rest of the verses. I’d suggest either skimming the verses until one jumps out at you, then slow down and let it settle in for a bit. What is it that caught your attention, how does it offer comfort, does it spark other thoughts of peace and comfort? I think the other way to approach these verses is to slow down and read each one carefully, prayerfully. Read the verse a few times and pay attention to the feelings it evokes or the mental pictures that pop up. I find that there are times a verse draws a blank – saying nothing at the moment. There are other times the verse sits with me for days, like looking through a kaleidoscope, the verse keeps changing. What is fascinating is that the whole thing flip-flops and the quiet verses speak and the live ones remain silent! How about you? What is your experience with Scripture?
16. Psalm 37:5 “Commit your way to the Lord. Trust in Him, and He will act.”
17. Mark 10:51-52 “What do you want me to do for you?” Jesus asked him. The blind man said, “Rabbi, I want to see.” Then Jesus said “Go. Your faith has healed you.” Immediately he received his sight and followed Jesus along the road.
18. Romans 15:13 “May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.”
19. Isaiah 41:10 “Don’t be afraid, for I am with you. Don’t be discouraged, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you. I will hold you up with my victorious right hand.”
20. Mark 11:24 “Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours.”
21. Ecclesiastes 3:1 “There is a time for everything and a reason for every activity under the heavens.”
22. Romans 1:17 For in the gospel the righteousness of God is revealed—a righteousness that is by faith from first to last, just as it is written: “The righteous will live by faith.”
23. Psalm 91:4 “He will cover you with His feathers, and under His wings, you will find refuge; His faithfulness will be your shield and rampart.”
24. Ephesians 3:16-19 “I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love,may have power, together with all the Lord’s holy people, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge—that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God.”
25. Matthew 14:31 Immediately Jesus reached out his hand and caught him. “You of little faith,” he said, “why did you doubt?”
26. Isaiah 66:9 “I will not cause pain without allowing something new to be born, says the Lord.”
27. Ephesians 2:8-9 “For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God—not by works, so that no one can boast.”
28. Hebrews 12:2 “And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us,fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.”
29. Luke 17:5-6 The apostles said to the Lord, “Increase our faith!” He replied, “If you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mulberry tree, ‘Be uprooted and planted in the sea,’ and it will obey you.
30. 1 Peter 4:12-13 “Dear friends, do not be surprised at the fiery ordeal that has come on you to test you, as though something strange were happening to you. But rejoice inasmuch as you participate in the sufferings of Christ, so that you may be overjoyed when his glory is revealed.”
31. 2 Corinthians 1:3-4 “Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves receive from God.”
32. Hebrews 12:1-3 “Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider him who endured such opposition from sinners, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart.”
33. Psalm 9:9-10 “The Lord is a refuge for the oppressed, a stronghold in times of trouble. Those who know your name trust in you, for you, Lord, have never forsaken those who seek you.”
Some background music if interested YouTube Link: https://youtu.be/se0Y0_NDGdU